As cooler temperatures settle over our beautiful region of Quebec, we all seek comfort.
Some find it nestled under a blanket watching their TV series, while others find it in food. Nothing takes the edge off winter cold better than a cheesy dish. Being from France, I love adapting the traditional Savoyard recipes we normally eat on ski vacations to the less-expensive Quebec cheeses.
The first recipe I suggest is tartiflette, which used to be called péla. The true story of tartiflette is more marketing triumph by the Interprofessional Reblochon Union than traditional recipe, but it is popular and comforting nonetheless. Since Reblochon cheese is a controlled designation (AOC—Appellation d’Origine Controlée) from the Haute-Savoie region, it’s hard to find at a reasonable price in Quebec. Try replacing it by Kénogami, Quebec’s “Reblochon,” made in Hébertville, a small town on the shores of Lac Saint-Jean—a lake almost as mythic as Lac d’Annecy.
Price: Medium, depending on type of cheese used
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Quantity: 4 servings
Preheat oven to 495°F (210°C)
6 to 7 potatoes
4 slices of bacon, minced
2 cheese wheels
Salt and pepper
1. Wash and brush the potatoes. Drop them into salted boiling water and cook until a knife can be easily inserted.
2. Peel and mince onions.
3. In a skillet (without added oil), brown onions and bacon over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Thinly slice the Reblochon or Kénogami.
5. Peel and cut the cooked potatoes into slices. Spread one layer of potatoes in baking dish, cover with part of the drained onion-bacon mixture and add seasonings. Cover with cheese slices. Repeat all layers, ending with cheese.
6. Bake 25 minutes or until cheese melts and browns.
7. Serve straight from the oven, with a green salad.
- Add 35% cream midway through the baking time to prevent it from curdling;
- Add white wine to the onion-bacon mixture and reduce.
N.B.: We recommend a good ski the day after to work off the tartiflette’s calories!
By Margaux Sappen, sales advisor at the Oberson shop in Laval